The GalaxyCon Masquerade Costume Competition is where costuming and cosplay go to the next level! This is a competition based on performance and presentation.
Sign up link is at the bottom, after reading the rules!
Scroll down to read information, rules, and regulations.
PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED AS FOLLOWS:
* BEST IN SHOW: $500 CASH PRIZE & AWARD TROPHY
* Best Individual: $100 cash prize & Award trophy
* Best Group: $100 cash prize & Award Trophy
* Best Junior / Youth: $50 cash prize & Award trophy
* 2nd place – Individual: $50 cash prize & Award Trophy
* 2nd place – Group: $50 cash prize & Award Trophy
Contestants can enter as individuals or as a group and will be judged based on stage performance and costumes. Think of it as a costume talent show; more than just a cosplay contest, this is your chance to put on a performance as the character(s) you are portraying!
AWARDS: All awards, with the exception of the Costume Directors Choice Judges’ Awards, will be chosen by majority vote of the Judging Committee. The Costume Directors Choice will be chosen by the director at his discretion. Judges’ Awards will be chosen by the individual judges.
MASQUERADE COSTUME & PERFORMANCE COMPETITION RULES
1. One entry per person. No separate entries from the same person. If you enter as part of a group, you may not enter as an individual. If you enter as an individual, you may not enter as part of a group. Groups are limited to a maximum of 12 individuals on stage at the same time.
2. The competition is limited to 50 entries, with no exceptions. If you wish to compete, you may pre-register online via the Masquerade Competition Entry Form or register on site at the COSPLAY INFO BOOTH in the Main Exhibition Hall. There is a limit of 30 entries that will be accepted in advance. We will close the form when that number has been reached. The additional 20 spots will be held for people to enter at the convention. Any of the 30 advance slots not already reserved will be open at the convention in addition to the 20 already available. Once the roster of 50 entries is filled, additional entrants will be offered will call slots in the event of a no show, on a first come, first serve basis. All pre-registered attendees MUST check in at the Cosplay Booth by Sunday at 2:00pm or you will lose your spot, which will be given to one of the will call entries. There are NO exceptions to this rule.
3. There is a performance time limit of 90 seconds for individuals and 3 minutes for groups.
4. When you check in at the Cosplay Info Booth, Booth #TBA, the staff will sign you up, verify your information and introduction, and take your USB Flash Drive with your audio file, or direct you on how to send your audio file to the tech booth. You will be directed on where to meet for roll call, which will be 30 minutes before the start of the contest.
5. NO MICROPHONES may be used by the contestants. All vocals and music must be pre-recorded. You must bring a flash drive with the audio file, or you will be instructed on where to send your music when you sign up at the Cosplay Booth, Booth #TBA.
6. If you have won an award at a previous GalaxyCon event with the same performance / costume(s), you will be disqualified. It’s a new show, time for a new performance.
7. No Nudity. This is a family show and will contain young contestants. All costumes/skits must be PG-13, PG, or G.
8. No bad behavior. You know what that means. No trash talking, sabotage, or poor sportsmanship. Improper behavior will get you removed from the competition and possibly the convention. Remember, we’re all here to have fun.
9. No harmful or potentially harmful materials will be allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: water, cigarettes, flames, fireworks, silly string, and any other substance that can be fired, launched, or dripped.
10. PROP POLICY: You may pose with your prop at the costume competition, however, there is to be no waving of props around so that there can be an accident. It’s never planned for someone to get hurt… that’s why they call them accidents.
11. All performances are confined to stage area or area immediately surrounding stage including off stage left and off stage right and should be entirely self contained. Performances will not include any person not listed on your sign up sheet and may not utilize audience members, other contestants, stage crew, convention staff or convention volunteers.
12. IMPRESS US! This is a competition based on performance and costume. The more the judges and audience are entertained and impressed, the greater chance you have to WIN!
13. Please note that winners of cash prizes of $600 or over will be required to fill out a W9 on site. Anyone who cannot complete a W9 or have a parent complete a W9 on site may have to wait until one is able to be completed before receiving their prize.
How do I sign up for the contest?
There are two ways to register for the competition:
(1) Register Online here. You will receive an email confirmation with your contestant #. When you get to the show, you will need to sign in at the COSPLAY INFO BOOTH, where you will be given further instructions. . We will accept a maximum of 30 registrations via online entry.
(2) Register at the convention. Participants will be able to sign up for the contest at the COSPLAY INFO BOOTH, located in the Main Exhibition Hall. Fill out and return the entry form to the registration table. You will be given a contestant # and further information. Everyone must be signed in and all forms must be handed in by (TBA).
Roll Call: All entrants must show up 30 minutes prior to the competition for roll call.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the amount of music involved with the Masquerade Competition, our recorded video cannot be posted online after the show as it will be taken down for copyright reasons. If you would like a recording of your performance, you will need to have a friend film your performance for you.